From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:49:20 -0400
Interesting observation about the UND roster, Larry.

BC
  20 from Mass. or a contiguous state
   2 from another state
   2 from Canada.

North Dakota
  14 from ND or a contiguous state
   2  from other states
  11 from Canada

There are a few of things that are pleasing to me.  First, I can remember
when North Dakota was virtually ALL Canadian.  Given that North Dakota is
sparsely populated, and of the contiguous states, only Minnesota has many
hockey players, the geographic distribution is pretty impressive.  Second, I
know that none of the local kids on BC were "affirmative action" recruits,
and I doubt that any of the local kids on North Dakota were either.  While
there's some pressure on Jerry York to recruit local kids just because they
are local (and I'm sure there are similar pressures on Dean Blais), I think
that the results show that the recruiting emphasis was on ability rather
than home town.  Another surprising thing I noted from the North Dakota
roster was that there were a couple of Canadian kids who played junior
hockey in the USHL.  That speaks well for the USHL, and I don't think you'd
have seen that a few years ago.

Clay