From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:01:03 -0500
On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 09:04:14 -0700 Greenie wrote:

> As for the Hobey watch, Drury played quite well (goal and an assist),
> although he did pull a bonehead move by pulling a stupid penalty in hitting
> after the whistle -- giving Merrimack a power play on which they scored.
> Interesting stat there -- Drury actually leads the Terriers in penalty
> minutes. However, he was as usual playing both ends of the ice, and often
> drew two and three Merrimack players when he controlled the puck. he also
> showed off some great stickhandling and skating killing off a few of the
> Warrior power plays.

Chris Drury's penalty minutes are a prominent black eye in his overall
statistics, but there is one obscure stat that is very telling of his
value to his team.  Through March 8, Drury led the Terriers in shots on
net with 162.  In second place was Mike Sylvia with 101.  Drury's shots
constitute 14.3% of the team's total.  His shooting percentage is only
14.8%.  If he had shot as well as Sylvia, who connects at 18.8%, he
would have 6 more goals.  Yes, this is a very obscure statistic, and I'm
sure very few teams tabulate it.  But anyone who has seen BU play this
season knows how much his team depends on his offense and that he does
get off a lot of shots.  What fascinates me is that no matter how
tightly he is shadowed and off-balance he is, he gets off a solid
quality shot.  And let's not forget that he is the best defensive
forward in college hockey.

The big loser in the Hobey balloting this weekend has to be Jason Krog.
I know, it is an individual award.  But the voters are going to have
difficulty looking past UNH's record at the end of the season:  losing 6
of their last 7 games; 3 at home, 1 at last place UMass-Amherst, and
this weekend's sweep at the hands of Maine.  Krog got an assist on
Friday and a goal and an assist on Saturday, so you can't blame this
weekend on him.  New Hampshire just seems to be cursed in March, and I
can't help but think that it will have some effect in the voting.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller