From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:56:51 -0700
On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Bill Fenwick wrote:
> On Aug 7, 11:28, "Greg R. Berge" wrote:
> >A few years ago a Cornell defenseman (Steve Inglehart) lost his final year
> >of eligibility because, I think, he had played Junior B after his 20th
> >birthday.  I do not know what the exact letter of the law was then (or more
> >to the point what it is now), but there is some strict limitation on how
> >old a freshman can be (I think, contingent upon his experience in organized
> >hockey but... I don't really know).
> This may have changed recently, I'm not sure.  The rule basically is (was) that
> you lose a year's eligibility for each season of "organized hockey" that you
> play past your 20th birthday.  As for what constitutes a season, and/or what
> happens to your eligibility if you turn 20 *during* a season, etc. I don't
> really know.

I thought the rule had changed, but I heard of a Junior player in Nanaimo
who was sat out during the last part of this season to retain his NC$$
eligibility. If the player is who I think it is, he would have been
turning 21 this spring.

> >BTW, is there a limit on how *young* an NCAA athlete can be?
> I seriously doubt it.  Imagine the trouble the NCAA would be in if somebody
> accelerated through junior high and high school and came to college as a
> 16-year-old (and I know somebody who did, although she was not an athlete),

Hey, I was in University at 16 (but definitely not as an athlete. :-) ).

Clarkson had a freshman for the first half of 95/96 named Gregori
Baumgartner. He had come to Quebec from Austria one year earlier and
played Midget AAA. After being ruled ineligible for the 95 QMJHL draft,
he decided to go to Clarkson as a 16-year-old [IIRC]. Halfway through the
season, he ended up leaving Clarkson for a Midget AAA team in Quebec, and
last I heard he was playing for Laval of the QMJHL.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards                                      [log in to unmask]
"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist." - Sir Humphrey Appleby