From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:45:00 EDT
Mike writes...
>3) Of the "local standouts" listed, a majority fall into at least one of
>two categories: players who wouldn't have gone to Merrimack even if offered
>a full scholarship (Merrimack over Harvard?  over Brown?  BC?), and players
>who wouldn't have made a significant impact at Merrimack anyway.

I'll offer an example of the latter.  Michigan's 1994-95 captain,
Rick Willis, is a native of Lynn MA.  He grew up around
Merrimack and Coach Anderson.  Yet, I *believe* that MC
passed on him when it came down to decision time.  Merrimack
giving up a local kid that would become a four year regular and
eventual captain at Michigan?  Yes.  Naively, it sounds odd,
but it really isn't.

Rick's nickname is "The Shawk", a combination of the fact that
he circles the ice like a shark looking for prey and a playful jab
at his Boston accent.  Willis is a hard-hitting, grinding, defensive
forward.  He was the physical and inspirational leader at Michigan.
When the team needed a lift, or needed to get the crowd into the
game, you could count on Willis to hit the ice at full speed and
run over everything in his path.  He spent four years on UM's fourth
line, but has etched his place among the all-time favorites at
Yost Arena, and was rewarded with the captain's 'C' for his senior
season.

Did Michigan need Willis?  Yes!  The Wolverines are/were in
a period of playing for CCHA and NCAA championships.  They
have a roster full of guys that can put the puck in the net, but
Willis added much needed emotion and tenacity to the lineup.
He was a physical force and dependable penalty killer, and
that's what the Wolverines needed.

Did Merrimack need Willis?  I doubt it.  The Warriors were building,
try to reach .500 and playing for respectability.  Rick wasn't going
to produce 20 goal seasons (or even 10-15), and that's what MC
needed.  They needed some depth at the top lines, not another
role player.

So, the local kid went West and became an Ann Arbor hero.
Fwiw, Willis' career stats at Michigan are: 146 GP, 15-23--38,
270 PIM, 0 PPG, 2 SHG, 0 GWG, +21.  He appeared in the
second highest number of games (Mike Knuble played 157)
among a class that went 125-31-8.  His biggest offensive
season was 8-5--13 over 40 games in 1993-94.

Where's Rick now?  He signed a three-year contract with the
New York Rangers.  Look for him popping people and killing
penalties in the AHL...and, maybe someday, the NHL.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])
I've been to Volpe and, if I was talented enough to play Division
I hockey, I probably wouldn't want to play four years there either.