From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 1994 16:03:34 -0500
Matt Anderson wrote:
"So I'm planning a trip home for January or February, and I'd like to see a
hockey game, which is something I don't normally do since I don't own a
television even.  I wonder, could I see the Spartan's play?

When I was at MSU (1986-1991), unless you were a season ticket holder, there
were no tickets to be had unless you went for standing room only, and even
then it was chancy (i.e. occasionally available at the start of the season,
becoming rarer as the season progressed).  Is this still the case?  Unless
the university went ahead with the Munn expansion I would suspect so, but I
could be wrong and/or poorly informed."

No, it hasn't expanded, and yes it's still the case that tickets are damn near
impossible to get (unless students are out-of-town, and then it's just highly
unlikely).  Munn has had 161 consecutive regular season sellouts (the last non-
sellout was in 1986 vs. OSU).

"If not in East Lansing, I suppose there are other options.  What's ticket
availability like at either Ferris or Western?  Do either by chance play MSU
in Kalamazoo or Big Rapids during the first two months of next year?"

MSU's schedule for January and February:

Jan. 6 Ferris State (not on student package, some tickets may still be avail-
                     able - (517)355-1610 or 1-800-GOSTATE)
Jan. 9 at Lake Superior
Jan. 13 Notre Dame
Jan. 20 at Notre Dame
Jan. 21 at Bowling Green (I have tickets for this one, there may still be some
                          available)
Jan. 28 at Western Michigan (I have tickets for this one also, this one may be
                             a bit tougher)
Feb. 3 at Ferris State (should have tickets available)
Feb. 4 Michigan
Feb. 10 Miami
Feb. 11 Miami
Feb. 17 Western Michigan
Feb. 18 vs. Michigan at JLA (probably your best bet for tickets)
Feb. 24 Notre Dame (Senior Night)
Feb. 25 at Ferris State (see above, I'm getting tickets for this one)

So your best bets to catch them at home or on neutral ice would be Jan. 6
against Ferris St. or at JLA on Feb. 18 vs. UM.  Otherwise, they'll be easier
to catch on the road, most likely at Notre Dame or at Ferris.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 8-2-1, 12-4-1
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?