Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1993 12:54:29 -0400
What a GREAT day!  Truly a GRAND Opening of New Mariucci Arena!!!

I must admit that I was aprehensive about this "new" arena. The Old Mariucci
had so much tradition and a certain mystique in it. I had clearly avoided
going in to preview the arena, even though I had several chances to do so. I
had spent so many seasons in old Mariucci, there were so many memories...

I LOVE OUR NEW ARENA!!!!!!!

I had gone over there early on Saturday to take a few photos of the outside.
It is beautifully landscaped and is impressive with the seven maroon and gold
"M" flags flying high over the entrance. I was impressed and filled with a
great anticipation.

We (Erik and Paula, Pam, and non-H-L'er Kathy) met at Stub and Herb's for our
pre-game meal and libations. The bar was hopping for a summer evening and most
of the people there were heading over to the game. We left a few minutes to
six so that we would get in early and get a great seat. The doors had opened
early due to a special reception for the alumni and their families in the Gold
Club which is above the concourse.

There was much milling about and oohhing and aahhing in the lobby. After
purchasing our Legends T-shirts we were talking to a few friends in the lobby,
when I spied one of the two gigantic murals that grace the walls adjacent to
the stairway/escalators (there are two of these). I wanted to go up NOW! ;-)

Up the escalator we rose to the concourse level, which is at the top of the
seating area. The murals which are large decals on the concrete walls are
MAGNIFICENT! They feaure older alumni and John Mariucci is prominent in one of
the murals. I understand that there are more murals to come for a couple of
walls that remained empty and I am really looking forward to those, as there
are a few of MY vintage photographs that will be incorporated into those
collage-murals. ;-)

I was SPEECHLESS upon looking down at the ice and seats. Two block "M's" on the
long sides of the seating are in gold seats the rest are maroon. The seats are
roomy and there is plenty (and I mean plenty) of leg room! There is not a bad
seat in the house either. I couldn't sit in my newly assigned seat, because it
was already occupied. I also found out that Randy Skarda's uncle Jack will be
sitting directly in front of me. I laughed when he told me where he was
sitting and asked him what he had done that was so bad to be punished for? He
now has a few weeks to find himself some earplugs to dim the yelling and
screaming that will come from behind him!! ;-) :-) ;-)

Here are a few fun facts from the program we all purchased last night:

-The new arena is made with 256,580 bricks, 2,00 of which come from the old
 Memorial Stadium.

-In the new arena you will be 18 feet 6 inches above the ice if you are sitting
  in row 12; in the old arena you would have been 8 feet above the ice in the
  same row. (I'm in row 12!!)

-The opening crowd capacity for the new facility is 9,130, compared to 7,552
  in the old Mariucci Arena.

-The ice sheet in the new arena is 100x200 (Olympic-size); the old sheet was
  85x210 feet.

-The new center hung scoreboard id 20 feet wide and 15 feet high.

-The new Mariucci has eight locker rooms; the old arena had two.

-The building has a 200 ton ice making capacity. (And there will be
   year-round ice!!)

-The press box is at center ice above the concourse with the television
  press box directly opposite.

-The bathrooms have maroon stalls!

The local media have said that it is THE FINEST college hockey arena in the
country and I really believe it now. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!

For those of you who are coming to the Twin Cities for the NC$$ Phinal Phour
next March/April I will be trying to arrange a tour of our arena for you with
a meal stop at Stub and Herb's! Better than the Mall of America, guaranteed!!

I will post the report on the Legends game later today.

-Carol
"March on, march on to victory,
Loyal sons of the Varsity,
Fight on, fight on, for Minnesota,
For the glory of the old maroon and gold,
March on, march on, to win the game,
Down the ICE, fighting every play,
We're with you team, fighting team,
Hear our song, we cheer along,
To help you win a victory!"
....Minnesota March

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!