From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1993 09:41:05 EDT

> If I recall, Loney was having academic problems to the point where he
> may have been academically ineligible.  Rather than try to boost his
> grades, he opted to leave Columbus entirely.
>
> Ohio State may not have a hockey program, but it is a first rate
> university and if your not ready for the academics you won't be around
> for long.

How the Bucks could have used him this year too.  Among many other problems
the team had this year, the one that really made the difference between being a
total doormat and being marginally competitive was having no real offensive
threats...no one that you felt was going to make somehing happen when he
touched the puck, and Loney was very capable of that.

In talking to a couple of people about Loney, all I was able to get was a
comment that "They could have found a way for him to stay, but the effort
wasn't made," whatever that means.  OSU is a good school, but it is also large
enough so that anyone can find a major where they can hide themselves, major in
hockey/football/partying and still pass/remain eligible.  From some of the
parents of other players, they all said they couldn't believe Loney even tried
to come and play college hockey in the first place.  I think it was Bruce
Hirst's father who said, "If there was ever someone who belonged in Junior A,
it is Brian Loney...just not much upstairs."

It was a shame he didn't return, but I wish him luck.  He is an extremely
talented hockey player no matter what his academics are like.

        *        Dave [log in to unmask]         *
        *                  Cornell '91 OSU Med '95                     *
        * I may be in debt for the rest of my life, but I get to wear  *
        *             this cool, white lab coat all the time.          *