From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1992 01:16:22 EST
Well, this is why we play these games (exhibitions).  This year, when a
referee has only one arm up, it can mean NOTHING other than a delayed
penalty.  To signal delayed offsides, he must have one arm straight up and
the other one pointing down at the line.  And to signal icing, he must
raise his arm at a 66 degree angle.  Either the referee made a mistake here
by not pointing at the line also, or the goalie just saw the referee with
his arm up, didn't notice him pointing at the line and went to the bench.
Had this been a real game and a goal was scored, and the referee had
mistakenly not been pointing at the line, I expect the goal would have been
disallowed.  It's possible that with Waterloo being from Canada, they
weren't aware of the new signals.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*