Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1992 13:40:52 -0500
Scoring by periods

        Bemidji State           3       0       1         4
        UW-Stevens Point        3       0       3         6

I took no notes, this is all from memory (corrections may follow).  Point
started out the game with good pressure and eventually scored the first goal.
Bemidji tied it up then Point scored the next two goals, but Bemidji tied it
up again.  Neither goalie played very well.  The second period was good
hockey.  Both teams played well, both goalies made some good saves.  It became
apparent during this period of the difference in styles of play - Bemidji
likes to play the passing lanes and contract in front of the net while Point
is more intent on taking the body.

Period 3 had some very interesting developments.  Both teams continued to play
well.  The tie was broken when Paul Caufield for Point got a clear breakaway
while shorthanded.  He got the puck just inside the Point blue-line and the
Bemidji defenseman went the wrong way.  Then, about 5 minutes later during
another Bemidji power play, Caufield scored again finishing up a 2 on 1 break.
2 short handers by the same player in consecutive power plays.  With 2 minutes
to go, another Bemidji power play gave Caufield a third shot - he actually had
a good chance at a natural shorthanded hat trick.  He missed, but it makes me
wonder if anyone has ever done that.  Almost history in the making?

Now Point takes a second penalty putting them two men down.  Bemidji converts
on the second (we were one man down) to cut the score to 5-4.  With 1:04 to go
they pulled their goalie and Point got an empty net to finish the scoring.
But that wasn't the end of the game.  With 00:26 to go, Bemidji was whistled
for an elbow.  This started a pier-6 brawl.  We had a pro-style fight on the
ice with everybody paired up, gloves dropped and punches being thrown by at
least two pairs.  It took a good 5 minutes to break up the fights.  The refs
gave two game disqualifications to each team and a game misconduct to a third
for each side.  But the only time penalty they called was the elbow giving
Point a 5 on 4 power play at the end of the game.  Does this make sense to
anyone?  Bemidji also had an earlier game disqualification, so they have lost
3 men for tonight and Point 2.  Its also possible there were more than that
and I wont know until I read the paper later as I didn't have anything to
write with at the game.

Tom Rowe                                [log in to unmask]
* The only reason some people get lost in thought is because its *
* unfamiliar territory.                                          *
*         Paul Fix                                               *