Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:52:51 -0700
At 12:42 PM 3/22/98 -0600, Adam wrote:

>Well. .... Congrats to Keith Instone, who was right on the money ... You
>see everyone --- so "Cut and Dried" that the selections and seedings
>were known as soon the games ended.  Does this make believers out of the
>few remaining holdouts?

Sure it was "cut and dried" AFTER the games. But note that both BU and BC
ended up with the byes, and top-seeds BU and MSU have a strong possibility
of facing conference foes (UNH and OSU) in the regional finals.

My impression (read: I COULD BE WRONG) was that it was also "cut and dried"
that the committee would make sure to eliminate same-conference matchups...

I guess not.

Why wasn't UNH sent out west? Anyone? Anyone? I'm guessing the committee
felt that they "deserved" (based on the numbers) to stay in the East... but
it seems to me that Yale "deserved" it more, having a better win%, winning
their regular season and making their conference semis (as compared to
being swept in the first round). If there was any other reason it would be
to avoid a BU-UNH or BC-UNH matchup.

In the past we've seen #3 and #4 ranked teams sent to the opposite coast in
an attempt to avoid the same-conference matchups -- in fact, isn't that
what happened this year, in honoring Wisconsin with the #4 East seed?

Maybe it's just me, but being the #1 East seed didn't do BU much good when
it came to it's position in the brackets. Yeah, I know "it really doesn't
matter who you play at this time of year, you'd have to beat them anyway"
but really -- it seems to me that playing the Wisconsin or UNH is a much
tougher route than winning the Clarkson-Colorado College victor.

All in all, I gotta say, it doesn't seem that "cut and dried" to me.

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!