From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 03:44:30 -0400
At 9:31 PM -0800 3/1/97, John Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, Jim Teresco wrote on info-hockey-l:
>
> > Union just got an empty net goal in overtime (believe it or not) to
> > beat Yale, 6-5.  The win avoids a preliminary round game for Union,
>
> I have a question for the other statheads out there. When the winning
> goal is an ENG, who gets "credit" for the loss? Does the mythical "Open
> Net" get it?

Good question.  Never ran into this one.  I also don't think it is "written
down" anywhere.  But I would charge it against the guy who came out for the
extra man.  I know, he didn't actually give up the goal, but what can you
do. :-)

I don't think I have ever seen "Empty Net" credited with a decision, but
the same problem arises if an ENG is scored and becomes the GWG (i.e., 5-4
score, goalie pulled, ENG makes it 6-4, goalie pulled again, final score
6-5).  This probably happens a few times a season.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****