From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 21:23:33 GMT
[log in to unmask] (Leigh Torbin) wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:
>> > I thought ( was hoping ) Amherst would fare better last night. If you
>> > haven't heard, Princeton whalloped them 7-2. I was hoping to have seen
>> > a post here, since the box scores on USA Today don't even show
>> > penalties.
>>
>> You can read all about the game at US College Hockey Online.

>This is why I never posted a box (Sorry), but I'll tack it on at the end
>of this. We send one to uscho anyways, but when both Adam and Jason Moy are in
>the house, you have to assume it will end up there anyways.

And you didn't even say hi?  :)

>> > Attendance was over 3,000. Is this typical?
>>
>> I don't know who was counting.  Obviously this was tickets sold.  There were
>> MAYBE 1,000 people there.

>Attendance at Mullins is tricky just because of the size of the place and
>also because student tickets are free so it's hard to gague how many show
>up on the Friday before exams. That, and for some bizarre reason, several
>left early.

When I walked in (after the first period was over), I remarked that
there seemed to be a good 3,00-3,500 people there.  It looked like a
pretty good attendance to me.

As for people leaving early, I believe a few of them were escorted out
during the whole penalty fest that occurred during the third period of
play.

>Anyways I would have said that last night's crowd was slightly smaller
>than average and since we averaged 3,500 per game last year I have no gripes
>with 3,027. Yes Paul, 3 grand is typical, but it still looks really empty.

Especially after seeing a packed house on tv the night before for the
basketball game.

>. Their day-glo
>orange uniforms aren't the scariest part of this team.

I thought Halloween had come again.

>Not much to say from the UMass side so I won't. Just a lack of defense
>that led to the four goals in the second.

A lack?  The defense was horrible.  Princeton owned the Minutemen
behind the net, along the boards, and in the corners.  My unofficial
count saw a least 10 odd man rushes for Princeton in the second
period, and at least 5 in the third.  Plus three goal in the second
from behind the net?

>Honestly I thought Regan (7 ga,
>35 saves) played alright, he couldn't be faulted for too much. The last
>pair came on and extended 5x3 advantage after everyone on both teams
>stopped caring.

I have to disagree with Regan playing well.  He allowed rebounds,
wraparounds, things that a goalie should be prepared for.  It did not
look like he played well at all.

One of the goals was a point shot, and then a beautiful feed to Horst.
Both teams still cared.

The one thing I saw from Princeton which I did not see much of in
recent years - the passing was tremendous.  Especially the first pass
out of the defensive zone.  Odd man's are not created without great
passing, and that's what the Tigers did.

Jayson Moy