From:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lowell D King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 20:08:42 -0500
        From some fresh information today, it's evident that a Big Ten Hockey Conference (including ND) is pre-destined -- it's simply a matter of when (perhaps in the '98-'99 season or one year later). Also, we'll see the splitting of the WCHA into Divisions at about the same time.
        Unrelated to this information, but what I consider the driving forces behind it are (in order): revenue, prestige, and the division of the NCAA into separate governing bodies (-- i.e., Division I creates it's own rules. That's going to create many problems for Division II schools who run Divison I hockey programs (they will have little to say about the NCAA Division I hockey rules). Also, Division I hockey recruiting practices are in for a change (increased access to Major Junior players). The only question is a great big when -- it may take a few (5 or so) years to initiate the change, but this also seems pre-destined. ALL of this will benefit the larger schools far more than the smaller ones and, I think, it'll be far more difficult (though not impossible) for the Division II schools to keep a Division I hockey program in place.
        As these changes occur, it seems rather self evident that a change in the tournament selection process will occur (otherwise the big schools would simply self destruct among themselves). In many ways, this is unfortunate as one of the big benefits of college hockey has been the ability of smaller schools to establish a national prominence. However, I think it's also a natural growth process and by-product of greater national interest in hockey which, in turn, is beneficial, overall, to the program.
        Lastly, even with a Big Ten Conference many of the most traditional rivalries will continue for some time (due to scheduling needs) but even those will gradually fade over time (perhaps ten years). We all like to think in emotional terms, but the bottom line ALWAYS reverts to revenue and with the plus 10K arenas being built, the schools must maximize the pay they get for fielding a team.
        Lowell King