From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:56:39 -0500
**** MICHIGAN 5  MICHIGAN STATE 1 ****
Michigan State  1  0  0 -- 1
Michigan        3  1  1 -- 5

Much has already been said about this one, so I won't unnecessarily repeat
anything.  This game had an ugly second period, and the officiating was
particularly not-well-done.  The box scores list Matt Shegos as the
referee, but sources closer to the ice have told me that it was MARK (The
Evil) Shegos doing the whistle-blowing.  Or not-blowing.  Shegos let a
tremendous amount of stick work go throughout the game, and thus I mark
him as PARTLY responsible for the Friday-Night-Fights during the second
period.

I was severely disappointed with MSU's Chad Alban.  Once Justin Clark was
cross-checked into the goal by Berens and then mugged by Keyes, Alban got
into the fight and threw punches until a linesman--er, assistant
referee--pushed him away.  Then he promptly came back into the fracas,
throwing punches again.  He was pushed away one more time.  And returned
to the fight AGAIN.  The third time he was pushed away by the linesmen, he
decided it would be more fun to get Marty Turco involved.  Marty was
already standing at the red line, and only with Shegos standing between
them did Alban or Turco not skate any further.

For all of this, Alban gets the same two minute minor as Turco.  Now,
before anyone gets on me, TURCO DESERVED THE PENALTY.  He left the crease.
He crossed the red line.  That is worth a 2-minute minor.  However, Alban
gets
thrice pushed out of the fight, IN WHICH HE WAS PARTICIPATING,
and gets the SAME two
minutes?!?!?  I very strongly (ask my friend Scott, who was standing next
to me) that Alban deserved AT MINIMUM a 10-minute misconduct.  I would
have given him a 5-minute fighting and game DQ.  And if the roles where
reversed and Turco had been the one participating in the fight, I'd feel
the same way.

What further ticked me off was that 57 seconds later, while someone was
sitting in the box serving Alban's 2 minute minor, Brendon Morrison was
pushed into the net (& alban) by a Spartan defenseman.  Alban (probably
after Morrison said something) takes a swing or two at Morrison.  Rightly,
Alban got another two minute minor, but, I guess I feel that he should've
not been there to do that.

I guess I just don't like the special treatment that goalies seem to get.
They've got rules to protect them.  These days, you touch a goalie and
you're sent to the box.  Yet, the goalie can hit or trip or slash you and
most times nothing will get called.  When they do get called, SOMEONE ELSE
goes to the box.  What a shame.

Just imagine, if the goalie would serve his own penalties, Turco might
actualy control his temper (he is one of the worst at tripping or slashing
those whom he gets ticket at)--and Malicke might actually get playing
time.

From the Top Row,
roger

// Roger L Spurgeon     [log in to unmask]