From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:39:31 MST
From Gazette-Telegraph (12/18/94)

CC manhandles Minnesota, increases first-place lead

Give Peter Geronazzo credit - he doesn't do anything halfway.

First, the junior wing incensed the University of Minnesota coaching
staff by crashing into starting goaltender Jeff Moen in the first
period of Saturday night's game.

Then he helped Colorado College send the Golden Gophers into depression
by scoring two goals and setting up two more as the Tigers routed
Minnesota 9-2 before a crowd of 2,995 at Cadet Ice Arena.

The win left second-ranked CC four points ahead of second-place Denver
going into the holiday break.  The Tigers are 11-3 in the Western
Collegiate Hockey Association and 14-4 overall.

Fifth-ranked Minnesota, 8-5-1 in the WCHA and 10-5-1 overall, is in third.

The weekend split - Minnesota won Friday's game, 3-1 - left both coaches
upset and Geronazzo wearing a smile.

"I've been kind of in a scoring slump lately, so I was just trying to
play the body," Geronazzo said of his physical style.  "I got carried away
a couple of times.  Coach (Don Lucia) gave me a little bit of a tongue-
lashing after the first period."

Lucia told WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod that the Gophers had threatened
to put a bounty on Geronazzo when the Tigers play at Minnesota on Jan.20-21,
but would not say who made the threat.

"I don't believe in that type of hockey (checking the goalie), but I don't
think it was on purpose," Lucia said. "I told him (Geronazzo) if he did
it again, though, he was out of the game.

"It's nice we gained two points on Denver.  It's just unfortunate that
ugliness happened late in the game."

Lucia was referring to a battle that began in the UM end of the ice and
resurfaced in the penalty box, where Gopher wing Scott Bell threw punches
at the Tigers.  Bell was ejected for fighting.

Woog was more concerned with the play of Geronazzo, a junior from Trail,
British Columbia.

"There's one player you don't run - that's the goaltender," Woog said.
"He (Geronazzo) goes off unscathed.  They say they're going to emphasize
calling that penalty, and this happens."

There was also a lot of hockey played Saturday night, mostly by the Tigers.

CC skated to leads of 2-0 after the first period and 4-2 at the second
intermission.

Geronazzo one-timed center Colin Schmidt's pass for a 5-2 lead 6:25 into
the third period, and when Jay McNeill deflected Chad Remackel's pass into
the goal 45 seconds later, the rout was on.

It matched CC's biggest win over the Gophers, a 9-2 victory in the 1949-50
season.

Schmidt's line accounted for eight points.  The center also scored a goal,
and left wing Ryan Reynard assisted twice.  McNeill, the WCHA's leading
scorer, netted his 21st and 22nd goals of the season.  Fourth-line center
Tim Sweezo scored twice and defenseman Eric Rud once.

"It was great," Geronazzo said.  "We were a lot looser than yesterday.  I
don't know what got into us Friday night, but it was nice to see us come
back out with one of our better efforts."

Lucia agreed, saying,"We played much better.  Their goaltenders caved in
in the third period, but I thought we worked hard for our first four or
five goals."

(end of article)

~ Karen Heasley                        ~ "Sometimes I think the surest sign  ~
~ Colorado College '95                 ~  that intelligent life exists else- ~
~ Colorado Springs, CO                 ~  where in the universe is that none ~
~ [log in to unmask]      ~  of it has tried to contact us."    ~
~ [log in to unmask]             ~  - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes 11/9/94  ~