From:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 15:25:11 -0500
On Thu, 8 Dec 1994, Karen M. Kramer wrote:

> I saw that "referee Heather McDaniel" was listed on the USA Today top 10 list.
> Is she a college hockey official or does anyone have any additional info?
> Thanks in advance.
>                                 Karen

The article in USA Today said: The 22-year-old Chicagoan will break a
gender barrier in pro hockey when she officiates a CHL game in 1994-95.
Stay tuned for the CHL to announce her debut."

I have seen several things in The Hockey News.  The most recent was a
column in the Dec. 9th issue by Eric Duhatschek, "How about female refs
in pros?"  In part, the column said,:

        "One of these days, Heath McDaniel of Glen Ellyn, Ill., will
become the first professional female referee.  The Central League
promised McDaniel she would make her debut prior to 1995.
        Unlike [Manon] Rheaume, McDaniel will be forced to make it on
ability alone.  The NHL isn't going to hire her out of curiosity.  On the
other hand, if she develops into one of the top 20 referees in North
America, they will not establish any artificial barriers based on sex.
        According to Bryan Lewis, the NHL's director of officiating, a
woman stands a better chance of making it as a referee than as a
linesperson because of the physical demands of the latter job.
 [some text cut out]
        As for McDaniel, NHL people are not going to go out of their way
to scout her first pro game.  However, if they get good reports on her
work, then they promise to go in and take a look, same as they would for
any other up-and-coming official.
        Male or female."