From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 10:34:38 CDT
Here's the article from the Daily.  I had to add a couple clarifications in [],
but hopefully I'll be posting my full report later today. -Pam

Headline: Scoring not a problem for U hockey
Publish Date: 10/24/1994

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

Duluth, Minn. -- The Gophers hockey team went into this weekend's
series at Minnesota-Duluth concerned about its ability to score.

A series sweep featuring 11 goals, including a 5-4 victory on Friday
and a 6-2 stomping Saturday, alleviated that anxiety.

Especially considering the players who scored for the Gophers.

During Saturday's game the Gophers had to overcome a slow start.

In a game that was more physical and penalty-ridden than
anything else, the Gophers veterans assumed control.

Brian Bonin assaulted the Bulldogs' defense with two goals and three
assists, while Justin McHugh added a pair of goals.

McHugh said he anticipated penalties when the referees decided
before this season to call games more tightly.

``We aren't going to change our game because of what the refs are
calling,'' McHugh said. ``If we want to play tough, we're going to
play tough and expect penalties.''

The Gophers took advantage of poor power play efficiency and poor
execution on a number of breakaway opportunities for
Minnesota-Duluth, but Bulldogs coach Mike Sertich couldn't pinpoint
the missing link.

``I can't ask any more of my team than they gave me tonight,''
Sertich said. ``And I hate to see it decided like that.''

[this comment was after Friday night's game was decided on a controversial goal,
not about Sat's game - PJS]

Sertich's team started the weekend in bad shape and ended it in worse
condition.

The Bulldogs were without Rusty Fitzgerald, their top winger, because
of a back injury. Early in the third period of Friday's game,
sophomore defenseman Rick Mrozik went down with a broken ankle after
he got hit along the boards.

Mrozik had surgery on his ankle Saturday morning and will likely
be out indefinitely. He may redshirt this season.

Minnesota-Duluth did get some production from their rookies.

Joe Rybar had two goals and Mike Peluso scored once Friday
night.

Gophers coach Doug Woog was most impressed with the play of the
Gophers' special teams, which dominated the weekend by killing all 16
of Minnesota-Duluth's power plays and scoring on 50 percent of their
own.

The Gophers got off to an auspicious start Friday, when they fell
[He means "inauspicious"-PJS]
behind by two goals in the game's first eight minutes.

``We weren't into it as much as we should have been,'' junior Brian
Bonin said. ``It was the first game and we started a little
flustered. It was 2-0 before we knew what was going on.''

Though Bonin and McHugh attempted a total of just five shots, the
underclassmen took charge in the 5-4 victory behind a stellar effort
by sophomore Nick Checco, who notched the hat trick.

``They were lucky goals,'' Checco said, ``but every dog gets his
day, I guess.''

Freshmen Ryan Kraft scored once and had two assists, and Mike Crowley
added three assists in their collegiate debut.

Casey Hankinson managed an assist, but his presence was felt
more along the boards, where he used his 6-foot-1- frame to battle
for the puck.

Minnesota battled back from a deficit on four different occasions
Friday night and eventually won the game with 4:37 left in the third
period on Checco's third score.

``It's a better start than last year, that's for sure,'' Checco said.
``(This win) shows that we can come from behind and that we've got a
lot of heart. The key was to stay positive, no one got down.''

The final goal was disallowed at first when the referees called Ryan
Kraft for a hand pass on the play.

``(Kraft) stopped the puck in the air,'' referee Buzzy Christiansen
said. ``Originally there was a concern that there may have been a
hand pass, (but Kraft) was the next man to play the puck, and,
therefore, it was not a hand pass.''

Kraft was shocked at the call and immediately got in the
referee's face.

``I never touched it with my glove,'' Kraft said. ``I couldn't
believe it when (Christiansen) waved it off.''
[Kraft claimed it actually hit his shoulder, not his hand, and, regardless, he
was the next player to touch it.-PJS]

Minnesota hosts the 3-0 Wisconsin Badgers this weekend. Saturday's
contest is scheduled for the Target Center.

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
                                   1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!