From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 10:00:22 EDT
Very strange responses coming from the RPI SID's office.  When I asked for
information on next year's schedule he responded that there was only a
tentative listing, and nothing would be released until after the decision on
moving to Hockey East.  When I responded that I thought the decision might not
be out until the Fall, he responded that they are operating on a day to day
basis.  And after I specifically asked him about the already posted games
against Air Force, Clarkson and Merrimack he replied that those dates could
change if RPI decides to go Hockey East.  He also refused to confirm that
Miami of Ohio was definitely out of the Xmas Tourney, only saying that
they are "continuing to negotiate."  What?  There's a quid pro quo involved?

Trying to pry something out of him I asked what difference a Hockey East move
would make on next year's schedule, since the move wouldn't occur until 1995-
96?  He responded that RPI is afraid of a backlash from ECAC members, with the
ECAC refusing to play RPI next year!  I noted that such an action would leave
an extremely big hole in the ECAC schedule, and he merely responded yes,
probably.

All of this is contrary to the public statements on the potential RPI
migration.  According to the press release a "blue ribbon panel" would
be summoned after the end of the 1994 season to study the advantages/
disadvantages of an RPI move to Hockey East, and report its recommendations
directly to the President.  But from the SID's cryptic mutterings, it seems
like a decision may have been reached, with RPI now engaged in managing the
transition period for the Hockey East move.

Bri, where did you get the Clarkson schedule from?  And has anyone close to
the league offices (i.e. Cornell fans) heard anything about a new ECAC member
to replace RPI?

This whole thing seems incredibly bizarre to me.  I still cannot believe RPI
will leave the ECAC.  Well at least it's something interesting to ponder during
the off-season.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris