Sender:
From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1992 08:28:24 CST
From the Star Tribune of Minneapolis, 4 April 1992:

PLAYOFF REVISIONS ON HORIZON

Northern Michigan Cach Rick Comley, a member of the NCAA hockey committee,
said some revisions in the NCAA playoff format will take effect next
season.

"We'll continue to rank the teams six East and six West, and to guarantee
site protection for the top two seeds," Comley said.  "But we'll seed the
rest for the best draw, and re-seed the teams at the regionals.  In other
words, if the No. 5 West team goes East, and is considered to be the third
best in that field, we will re-seed them to show that."

Comley agrees that the bye situation is not the best.  "The bottom line is
that a 12-team field doesn't work," he said.  "We have to continue to
crusade for a 16-team field.  For now, this is the best compromise."

Many of the coaches involved have said they would like to see the West
regional played in the Twin Cities.  With the St. Paul Civic Center taken
for high school tournaments, some have asked about Target Center in
Minneapolis.  But Comley said, as of now, Detroit's Joe Louis Arena is the
only site to have submitted a bid, while Albany, Maine, Boston College, and
Wooster, Mass. have submitted bids for the East regional next season.

-30-