Sender:
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 08:04:15 -0400
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
On 5/16/06, Eric J. Burton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think 4 X 4 in the NHL is a awesome brand of hockey and I think  the
> NCAA
> should think about
> going to it during the regular season. Face it folks the NHL has become a
> more exciting brand of hockey to watch.

The NHL has become more exciting, but 4-on-4 overtime had nothing to do with
it. They were using the 4-on-4 OT before the lockout, when games were as
interesting as watching paint dry.

The difference has been that they decided to enforce the rules, and actually
stuck to it this time (as opposed to the usual heavy enforcement in October
and gradual return to the old ways by January). The big change has been that
the whistles stay out late in the game.

I figure if you're going to do 4-on-4, you should go all the way - like
minor hockey tournaments -  and follow it up with 3-on-3, 2-on-2 and 1-on-1.

I think you would find that 10-minute OT, combined with a willingness to
call penalties, would be the best overtime.

I had a chance to ask Greg Sheppard why the WCHA doesn't go to the same
> rules as the NHL and he said the coaches would never go for it.
> Gone are the days of the clutching and grabbing. Smaller players can again
> skate because there isn't a goon/unskilled thugh drapped all over them.

There's really not much new in the NHL's rules. All they've done is started
to call what's been in their book for 80 years.

John

--
John Edwards
I used to put quotes here.