ACTEM-INTEGRATORS Archives

ACTEM Integrators

ACTEM-INTEGRATORS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
ACTEM Integrators <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Crystal Priest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:19:15 -0500
----- Original Message -----

The following message is being sent out on behalf of Craig Mason, Maine
Education Policy Research Institute (MEPRI), at the University of Maine.
Please direct any questions to Craig Mason at [log in to unmask]

Thank you
The MLTI Team

======

You are invited to an orientation to learn about an ASSISTments efficacy
study which includes teacher training. The first orientation is Feb 10
2012, this one is almost full so we have added another orientation. That
one is March 12 2012. Go to this page for details and to sign up.

Let me explain what this training opportunity is about. This is an
exciting opportunity available to 7th grade mathematics teachers in your
district. It is a study that examines the effectiveness of ASSISTments, a
free, online formative assessment tool and homework resource with built-in
scaffolded hints and supports for students needing help. For this project,
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) and the University of Maine Center
for Research and Evaluation (CRE) are recruiting 7th grade math teachers
in Maine. Teachers receive free training and paid support on how to use
ASSISTments to enhance nightly homework. This training is funded by an
anticipated $3.5 million Department of Education grant.

Falmouth Middle School has volunteered to host our first free information
session on Friday, February 10th.  It will be a full day event for
teachers (the grant will pay for a substitute teacher).  We invite school
leaders to come at 2 PM to see what the teachers have learned, and to get
additional information relevant to school leaders. School leaders will
also be able to learn how to be part of our next grant.

Due to overwhelming interest (we already have 20 teachers and a dozen
school leaders registered for Feb 10th) we have decided to have a similar
meeting on March 12 in the Auburn/Lewiston area (exact location TBA).

Please visit our teacher wiki to learn more:
http://teacherwiki.assistment.org/wiki/Study

Register for our events here:
http://teacherwiki.assistment.org/wiki/Phase_One

If you have any questions e-mail Craig Mason at [log in to unmask]

Craig A. Mason, Ph.D.Director, Center for Research and Evaluation (CRE)
Co-Director, Maine Education Policy Research Institute (MEPRI)
Professor of Education and Applied Quantitative Methods
University of Maine
College of Education and Human Development
5766 Shibles Hall, Room 312
Orono, ME 04469-5766
https://sites.google.com/a/maine.edu/craigmason/
Voice: (207) 581-9059