The Rockport Public Library is seeking a Library Assistant to join our
team. Every day is an adventure at the library and you never know what new
and exciting thing will happen next. We are looking for someone to join the
team for between 15 to 20 hours a week with the opportunity for more. We
offer competitive pay and a stimulating work environment. Some nights and
If you are interested in applying for the position send a cover letter and
resume to Ben Blackmon at [log in to unmask]
Performs routine library services such as receiving and loaning books,
returning books to shelves, and following up on overdue books and
materials. Performs routine filing of books, periodicals, and other
materials. Checks returned materials for damage. May make minor repairs to
books and materials as needed. Computes and receives overdue fines. Assists
persons in applying for library membership. Processes membership
applications and issues membership cards. Operates computer terminal and
auxiliary equipment in routine duties.
*NATURE OF WORK*
To provide excellent customer service at the circulation desk and on the
telephone including reference services & reader’s advisory, while promoting
library resources. Other duties as assigned.
*EXAMPLES OF WORK*
Greeting and serving patrons, check-out and check-in of materials,
renewals, issuing library cards, hold requests of materials. Interlibrary
loan processing. Patron support and assistance with research and use of
online catalogs. Helps patrons and provides simple and complex reference,
and reader’s advisory using print and online resources. Must be able to use
the library automated system to order library materials, process overdue
items and send notices to patrons.
Responsible for knowing where to get information for patrons on the library
website, promote programs at the circulation desk or by telephone.
Interacts cooperatively and effectively with all Library staff, Town
departments, and with library users in a manner that is courteous,
engaging, and effective. At the direction of the Director, may attend
off-site conference. Directly provides reference and reader’s advisory
services and interacts with patrons on a regular basis as required, and
other duties as assigned.
*KNOWLEDGE AND APTITUDE REQUIREMENTS*
· Knowledge of books and reading
· Experience working with an automated circulation system
· Knowledge of ebooks and the library’s downloadable books selection and
how to use that resource
· Computer literacy and a demonstrated knowledge of various software,
online resources, and social media Strong organizational and interpersonal
· Ability to balance multiple priorities
· Demonstrated self-motivation and flexibility in a changing work
· Directly provides reference and circulation services and interacts with
patrons as needed at the circulation desk.
· Ability to work a rotating schedule that includes days, evenings, and,
*DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING*
· Post secondary education from an accredited college or university, or
other degree work that supports the requirements of the position *or
equivalent experience and training*
· Experience in and a working knowledge of library services is preferred
· Possesses a strong working knowledge of computers, related software,
online resources, search methods, and social media.
· Public service orientation with strong communication and collaboration