EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:36:51 -0800
They're easy to get on tape.... but at audible.com (and likely
elsewhere) one can get them in something resembling MP3... I took those
and put them on CD: so I can hear ol' Ez no matter what the device.
 Well, except for the Odes, which I've only ever found on tape.

Cummings' "you pays your money" etc. is something I quote frequently to
my work associates.

Pound growls, sings, mocks, woos, incants.... his reading is truly
amazing: a perfect reflection of his art.

"... and that was an anagram for Vitorio Emanuelle Rei D' Italia,
and the guards couldn't stop 'em"

What you say about Eliot is true, to a point... though I like Eliot's
rendition of Prufrock, and a tape I have of Murder in the Cathedral,
though not performed by Eliot, is a great listen.

But to me, Pound's reading of HSM (the whole) veritably blows away
anything I've ever heard read by anybody anywhere (including various
fairly masterful attempts at Homer and Sophocles)... which relates to a
conversation I studiously avoided, by jingo:

There died a myriad,
And of the best, among them,
For an old bitch gone in the teeth,
For a botched civilization.

Though, in the same vein, by jingo, is Cummings lilting,

Jesus tried to tell him,
He wouldn't believe it
And General,
yes Maam,
Sherman
Tried to tell him
he wouldn't believe it
It took a Nipponized bit of the old 3rd Avenue El in his head
then he believed it...

(I'm probably merely paraphrasing.. haven't heard Cummings a long time.).

--

Dirk Johnson
676 Geary #407

Home: 415-771-7734