EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:27:18 -0500
Then there is Liberace. "I trowe he were a geldyng or a mare." -Chaucer

But the gender of the Latin noun is not changed- virgo -inis, f. "a maiden,
virgin." Fascinating is the word's closeness to "virga, -ae, f. "a green
twig" as in French "verge"(la) from Snskrt "vajra" and may associate with
the golden bough, subjectively, but let us not forget Daphne.
Dionysus' crosier was a thyrsus. Nietzsche's BIRTH OF TRAGEDY is worth
noting in the catharsis between the Dionysian feminine lunar chaos and the
masculine Apollonian solar order. The muse is always a goddess and of a
triple nature, but she is absent from the Judeo-Christian reduced pantheon
replaced by only one of her aspects, the Virgin, accompanied by her
surrogate priest eunuch thus sacrificing balance for patriarchal authority
contrary to that which Jung might have called "individuation" as sought in
Ars regis' hermaphrodite but in all not necessarily "occult".
   Anyone ever make any sense out of Pound's alchemist poem?
What about the cats? Anyone? Anything? Anton Wilson says Hemingway, a cat
lover himself, noted  them and called the Pound's residence "the cat house".

Charles