EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:42:28 -0500
Tom,
I don't know that Pound regarded Eliot as "spiritually dead"; the nickname
suggests a poet-persona whose voice has a disembodied quality--  the voice
of a poet who  is "playing dead" -- holding his own severed head in his
hand, as it were. This quality is one that William Carlos Williams did not
like at all; he refers to Eliot as "frozen" or "sub-zero" or something like
that--I can't remember his exact words or where he says this. But In
_Paterson_ where the frozen lettuces or cabbages are tossed off the bridge
and smash onto the frozen river below, I think Williams must be dealing
with Eliot.
Tim Romano