EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Antony Adolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:05:08 -0800
Regarding the possibility of a "Social Solution" in Pound, I agree that the poet provides little if any advice. However, I do not shre the pessimism that has been circulating on the list.

Maybe we are not looking up the most fruitful tree; maybe the "solution" is not a "formula" which we can apply to fix the world's problems; maybe it is IN THE LANGUAGE of the poem, or rather in its languageS- with a capital "S" at the end (at least 20 in the Cantos alone).

What I mean is this: Pound is without a doubt seriously experimenting with what is called "macaronic poetry," or in other words, polyglossic poetics. Could it be that the harmony he finds between langauges could be somehow adapted to social and/or economic systems? Use interlingualism as interculturalism as peaceful conflict resolution as "beauty and justice"? Macaronic=Different monetary systems, their coordinations=social well-being, "order"?

I am currently writing a thesis on the subject, and would appreciate any thoughts/references/rebuttals.

tony.