EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. David Moody
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:54:45 -0000
Jacob Korg wrote that Pound said he did not believe in 'major form'.  That
would surprise me.  Please, where exactly did he say that, and what exactly
did he say?

I am fairly certain that The Cantos do have an apropriate form, even if I
have not yet grasped the whole of it.  We should be cautious about asserting
negatives of the kind which are likely to mean only that we can't see what's
there.  Merely fragments The Cantos is not.

This is not to disagree with the wise advice to read what you can follow and
skip where you're baffled -- that was Pound's own advice.  Keep doing that,
he advised, and more of it will keep coming clear to you.  BUT just as with
advanced music,  or with anything difficult, what you get out is in
proportion to what you put in.  You have to USE your best intelligence.

David Moody