EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Thomas Pare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:21:13 -0500
I applaud you on your endeavor, Michael.  Remembering back on how I started, I read the selected cantos before I moved on to the entire work itself.  The internet makes an informed study easier, but I read for years sometimes without understanding certain characters or events.
There are very few characters in the Cantos who are not real people, and I don't remember that Pound invented any of the fictional characters.
I found that Carroll Terrell's Companion to the Cantos, Hugh Kenner's The Pound Era, and a Donald Davie book (forgot the name, sorry) and they really helped me.  In fact I backpacked around Europe with Kenner's book as a guide and it helped me immensely.
All that being said, if any text cries out for the hypertext treatment, it is the Cantos!
Good luck, Michael, and keep us informed on your progress and struggles.
Tom Pare'