EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. David Moody
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:54:00 -0000
The likeness to Benjamin's Arcades project is intriguing, but The Cantos are
organised by a quite different method. 'They say they [the details] are
chosen at random', Pound said, 'But that's not the way it is.  It's music,
musical themes that find each other out.'  Trying to get your head around
that will be more useful than blowing it up with theory.

Your other thread is not really separate.  My quarrel with 'Theory' as it
has infected US and UK academics, especially those who profess to study
literature, has nothing to do with its being French in origin.  The French
generally have the philosophical training needed to handle it.  As
reproduced -- note the word -- by too many UK and US academics 'Theory'
vitiates thought and disempowers intelligence. It disempowers the literary
intelligence in particular.  You can't read texts and you can't read your
world when you are applying the questions and the answers 'Theory' has laid
down for you.  There's also the mental fog from the theorists writing no
language.   The hegemony of theory in the humanities has been a major
betrayal and a cultural disaster, disabling clever young minds from engaging
critically and constructively with what's actually going on in the world.

To learn, by exacting and discriminating attention, what is actually going
in The Cantos -- to make out the light (and the dark) in the detail and then
the musical organisation -- would be a more relevant training for making
sense, let us say, of the daily unfolding tragedy.   Some proper
philosophical training would help too.

David Moody