EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:42:20 -0600
Richard Seddon wrote:

> As to Gramsci.  I am poorly educated and have never encountered him.  I am
> going to Albuquerque (UNM library) today and  will read about him and if I
> have time of him.

Gramsci died in an Italian prison in 1937. He had been a communist
member of the Italian parliament and General Secretary of the Communist
Party of Italy. At his trial in 1928 the prosecutor ended his summing up
with the words, "We must stop this brain working for 20 years." His best
known works go under the title of "Prison Notebooks." The first English
edition of any of his work, taken from the Prison Notebooks, was
published in 1957 under the title of _The Modern Prince and Other
Essays_.

Carrol Cox