EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:51:36 -0000
7bit
From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Dear Garrick Davis:

What unites I and II?   Contrast.

What do they share?  Journeying after what a man thinks he needs to know  /
discovering what's out there to be known, with diverse responses.

I find I am constantly fairly certain about things I can't wholly grasp --
seems to me a normal condition.  That applies especially to the more
interesting creations of the mind.  We can glimpse what we can't always
grasp.

I don't seek to persuade.  To say 'that's how I see it' does not infringe
your liberty to see it your own way.

But I do question the truth and accuracy of your 'it has no structure' --
you surely need to add, 'so far as I can make out'.   A self-evident fact it
may be to you, but how can you deny that to another it may not be so?  You
would deny me my own insight into the matter?

'The conventions of the epic poem' are not fixed -- Byron's <Don Juan> did
for them in one way, Blake and Wordsworth in other ways.  The advance in
Western (self)-consciousness makes the figure of the poet, and then the
actual reader of the poem, the central or unifying actor.  The action is
discovery of the human universe.  The time is, to be brief, all time now.
The verse is tied to its moment.  Better than applying the old conventions
is to think of it as a musical composition -- i.e. a composition in words in
the modes of music.

Yours in shorthand,

David Moody