EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tom Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:19:48 -0500
Listserver,

Thanks for this opportunity to share thoughts and discussions with
experts in Pound. I hope I've used the correct email address. Although
I've been a programmer for 25 years, for some reason, I've always had
problems with listservs, and their complexity (at least what I perceive
to be complexity!)

I know what follows is redundant. I know you've all probably read this
series of statements more than several times. As a background, I've read
Pound since college, and have always had the same problem. Whenever a
member of the previous generation spots the name "Pound", they, more or
less, call me a traitor to America. I know about Pound's background, how
he sided with Italy and its regime, how he broadcasted political
messages, both anti-Semite and anti-Allies, and how he was arrested,
tried as insane, apologized and was locked away, where he worked on the
last part of the Cantos. The fact that his work won a post-War award
must have shocked the world. However, it doesn't shock me. His lines
remain brilliant.

But, a true artist should be regarded as devoid of his past, as the
Revisionists said, right? My mind's heart always stops when I read his
powerful lines, dripping in myths, supported by ancient names and
languages, bringing English to an airy arena, with literary splendor.
His poetry is untouchable, striking, fresh, and always refreshing in its
use of tones and words. And, of course, I haven't touched on who he
influenced, which is every poet since his time.

Can the list advise on the dichotomy between his politics and his
poetry? Also, I'm currently trying to locate one book, which contains
both the Cantos and annotations to the Cantos. Do you have any
suggestions?

Thanks, again, for this opportunity to address you.
Tom NJ