EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Dirceu Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 20:13:39 -0700
James,
      I don’t think this is a dead end. But I think
Eisenstein got there by himself; his ideas are similar
to those of Pound, but applied to the narrative
structure of the early cinema, which is, at least in
the case of Eisenstein, a hierarchic space. Derrida
knows Pound’s and Eisenstein’s ideas for sure.
      There is a very good book on the matter you’re
studying, BUT it is written in Portughese (or
Portagoose, as Pound liked it). The Brazilian Poet
Haroldo de Campos organized a set of essays that range
from Fenollosa’s findings to the discussion of
Aristotelian language structure. The book is called
Ideograma: Lógica, Poesia, Linguagem (Ideogram: Logic,
Poetry, Language). Maybe you can find some of the
essays. The ones by Chang Tung-Sun “A Chinese
Philosopher’s Theory of Knowledge” (published in ETC,
San Francisco, vol. IX, n.3), by Yu-Kuang Chu
“Interplay Between Language and Thought in
Chinese”,(published in ETC, San Francisco, vol. XXII,
n.3) and by S. I. Hayakawa “What is Meant by
Aristotelian Structure of Language?”, from a volume
called Language, Meaning and Maturity, New York,
Harper& Bros., 1954. All of them very interesting, I
suppose.
        Pound, as a poet, could steal anything he
wanted; I really think that all the Chinese he knew
only brought new strenght to what he learned from
people like Jean Cocteau (I mean, cubist technique of
composing time and space).
         Good Luck, James.

PS: Maybe you would like to add Mr.Burroughs’ cut-ups
to yr list of Chinese influenced pals.