EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:41:55 -0800
Yes, Dirceu, but they are being so very polite to each other, sort of like
in that drawing by Paul Klee of the bowing generals.
    I think the Cantos are more concerned with kulchural saltationism than
capitalism.
    BTW Didn't he call them "beaneries"?
    So today I go to the farmer's market and there they have an old Farmall
"C" parked in front of the building, and I see this man about my age (59)
admiring it. And before I can finish my sentence about this machine he is
telling me in his eastern European accent what a beautiful machine this is
and that he is an engineer retired from GM and they don't make anything
like this now, so strong and simple today. "See how the wheel is put on the
axle with a key stock and a bolted bracket. Easy to change but strong.
Those bolts are three quarters or five eights. That would give them 100
tons of torque." And I say I drove one like this in 1950 when I could
barely reach the brake and clutch pedals and going down a hill if you did
the right thing with the throttle and the clutch you could get her gove'nor
 to backfire and he smiles and says driving his army truck in Hungary he
would do the same thing when he passed the girls, and we laugh. He says
he's French, but from  a German part but then his family moved to Hungary.
With a German name everyone always thought you were a Nazi. I say this
tractor was made by the company founded by McCormick. His name is there in
bigger letters on the hood than the "IH" of International Harvester he
points to. He does not know who McCormick was, but he repeats the  name,
Mc-Cor-mick. I say he invented a simpler machine called the reaper which
changed thousands of years of harvesting grain with a sickle. His son
married Rockefeller's daughter. We say goodbye. He drives away in his GM
minivan with a Hungarian flag and sticker. Would I love to start up that
old tractor.

Charlie
"Bin gar keine Russin, stamm' aus Litauen, echt deutsch."