EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:11:09 -0700
Charles,

Thanks for an excellent response.  I chose derkomen off the top of my head
from line whatevereth in book whichever.  Enjoyed your pun on the German
with verb caps - I was expecting you to inform me that the entire Iliad is
in caps in the source texts and that one just crept in to keep us honest.

But, Charles, sometimes you sound like a philologist (my favorite of the
type being Nietzsche since I live among the clatter), though now it would be
linguists.

Yet, though it's true that New Directions manages mass circulation of the
Cantos, how many who buy them actually read them or, if they do read them,
don't find them "academic"?  My (granted very small) point was that the
Cantos are somewhat Faustian, that in Pounds thrust against the academies he
came to resemble them a great deal.

In fact, I've generally thought of Pound AS MY academy, in much the way
Homer was once viewed by many.

Doesn't mean I know anything, but I have an idea regarding who does.

Dirk