EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"A. David Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 11:40:32 -0700
It would contribute to clarity and perhaps even coolness of thought if
everyone concerned were to respect the difference between "Fascism" and
"fascist"; more exactly, in the current context, between "Mussolini's
Italian Fascism" and whatever might be meant by "fascism".  The former can
be defined; the latter in common and academic usage is so indefinite as to
be useless, unless one has a use for selfserving abuse.   To give Fascism
the capital letter is of course not to endorse it--it is simply a way of
trying to keep clear what it is one is talking about.  Pound wrote
propaganda in support of Mussolini and of what he took to be his Fascist
programme--the writings exist, the evidence is available.  But it is quite
another matter to call him "fascist" or "a fascist"--that's down to
intepretation, not evidence.  "Interpretation"? -- well, given the
unthinking usage of "fascist", that might not be the precise word for it.

David Moody