EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:10:39 -0800
Tim,
I changed the topic since we've gotten well away from the "election".  My
complete sig is proffered with multi-layered irony.  For the sake of
clarity, I risk providing more information than is desired in what follows.

I pretend to no special or inside knowledge of banking (though it is an
important subject to me and originally became so for me because of Pound).
I function as CTO (Chief Technology Officer) for Kelling, Northcross &
Nobriga, A Division of Zions First National Bank (KNN).  I am not a banker,
and have not taken any of the securities licensing tests.  KNN's function is
to arrange (not provide) financing for public agencies (school districts,
cities, counties, the state, state universities, etc.) in the most
economical way for the client (which is ultimately the taxpayer, though it
is formally one agency or another).

Zions First National Bank (Zions) acquired KNN in 1998, KNN remains in most
respects independent.  With the exception of direct purchase lease
agreements through Zions, which are a very small fraction of KNN's business,
financings (bonds, notes, and certificates of participation) are arranged
through either (1) competitive bidding (2) invited competitive bidding
(technically, under SEC rules, a form of negotiated contract) and (3)
negotiated contracts.  By far the smallest category for KNN is (3), and even
of these only a very small number go to the Zions underwriting desk.  100%
of KNN's business takes place in California (our offices are in Oakland).

Zions was orignially established by the Church of Latter Day Saints
(Mormons).  The Mormon church still controls 5% of its stock, but it is a
publically traded "National Banking Association" (Zions Bancorp), the
strongest in Utah (its primary - and larger but weaker - Utah competitor was
purchased by Wells Fargo Bank after a merger with Zions fell apart due to an
over-valuation of the competitor's stock by a Wall Street investment firm).
Zions has also purchased several small California banks and Sumitomo
(California) Bank.  These now operate under the name California Bank & Trust
(CBT), which is the 5th largest commercial bank in California.  Zions also
has the only primary securities trading desk west of the Mississippi, which
until October was located in KNN's office but has since taken its own digs
in Marin County.  There will be some cross-pollination between KNN and CBT,
but it remains a goal of top management to keep KNN's advisory status clear
of perceived conflicts of interest by a policy of non-interference from the
parent corporation.  I am closely involved in many deals (documentation and
technology) and have seen zero evidence of pressure from Zions to award any
underwriting deals to them.

My formal education, such as it was, focussed on ancient Greek and English
poetry.  Ezra Pound became my "master" the year I graduated from high
school, which was the year of his death.  My erratic interaction with the
academic world can be traced directly to Ez.  In the early '80s I bought a
computer and taught myself.  Now I'm the computer guy.  Though I've read a
fair amount regarding banking, I must rely on arguments, not authority, for
any point of view I might put forth.

The shift of dollars to the sunbelt in the S&L bailout is something I have
never considered or heard, but it's an interesting interpretation.  At first
blush, I don't understand why that shift would have been perpetrated.  The
banking cartel known as the Federal Reserve has shifted money (and
government policy) in many directions since Morgan and Rockefeller
interests, Daddy Warbucks (Paul Warburg) et al put it together, but I have
been unaware of a purposeful shift of funds TO THE SUNBELT (though certainly
they are always shifting funds to the banking interests in one place or
another).  Given the history of central banking (these guys are no less
manipulative than Biddle was), I would expect the Fed not to hesitate to do
such a thing - if they had a purpose.  I just don't understand why, i.e.,
whose interests at the Fed were served.

But you didn't explicitly state that the shift was purposeful, and I perhaps
inferred too much.  Perhaps S&Ls are just more important in rural areas than
in urban ones.

Dirk Johnson
Assistant Vice President