EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:26:11 -0500
 kevinkkiely writes:

> okay Bob a penn hardwood miles away from the Paris Metro.
>is 'bough' brought on by 'crowd'.

kevin,
ain't you be'n just a tad procrustian?...logical correspondences,
rhetorical figures, don't apply here...the two images are violently
(illogically) yoked

>bough is a bit Robert Bridges-ist.
>taking another piece of minutiae at random:
>"Alba" is precise if yeatsian with "pale wet leaves"

how more precise?...i don't see it.
the image may be clearly constructed, but empirically wrong
(lilies of the valley have deep green leaves),
and metaphorically absurd, a-logical...

>and as for< "L'Art, 1910
>Green arsenic smeared on an egg-white cloth,
>Crushed strawberries! Come let us feast our eyes."

in general the zeitgeist was dionysian... so all this
imagery of vegetative luxuriance, sensual inebriation,
orgiastic appetency...
was just the common cultural mythopoeic dispensation, no?

>the colour content glares, the apostrophe is not that delicate?
>why have it egg-white it takes from "direct treatment of the thing"
>the feast becomes a bit toxic: strawberries, egg-white and arsenic

well,...the feast (existentially) is toxic, no?
(rambo's drunken boat,...the epic "treatment")

don't these poems mean to recapitulate something of
the shock of awareness, the wonder at concrete existence?
essence of lyricism?  the dialectic of the spoken concrete imagery
and the ineffable, transcendant,  meaning?

>perhaps Kenner's The Pound Era has the source of the piece? >refresh my
>memory?

sorry,  no scholar...amateur,
bob