EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:51:26 -0800
Rick,

I would rather read Pound than Flint, Ford, or Witemeyer, but I've
ordered Witemeyer's book from Alibris.com (must have given my copy away
in a fit of madness years ago).

But Pound doesn't describe Imagisme as being about emotion.  He mentions
emotion, but only as a source of energy, which is the source of a
pattern-unit:

"Intense emotion causes pattern to arise in the mind - if the mind is
strong enough.  Perhaps I should say, not pattern, but pattern-units, or
units of design. (I do not say that intense emotion is the sole possible
cause of such units.  I say simply that they can result from it.  They
may also result from other sorts of energy.)" .  He wanted to call this
Imagisme, but the word found a different definition in the world.  The
term "vorticist" clarifies it.

Well, I suppose the discussion has come to an impasse until I read
Witemeyer.

Dirk

--

Dirk Johnson