EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tom White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:52:54 -0600
Jon:
I'd say, right on. I might mention a pet of mine, George Santayana. I've
thought he was shoved out of the Church he loved (the gag is that S.
believed there is no God and Mary is his mother) by the German philosophs
generally and Darwin, Freud (actually the late-protestant unitarians at
Harvard as stand-ins for those gents), etc., as you note. As far as I can
figure out his stance, he posited that the universe, presumably just what we
think it is materially, produced (by accident?) "wayward spirit" on this
planet, and he would concern himself with that, and let the rest go. "The
worldlings will not be without compensation that their feet have so
ceaselessly beat the earth because, when life is over and the world has gone
up in smoke, the earth will cast a slightly different shadow on the moon."
(Quoted from memory.) So much for THAT. Let us now write poetry. (One could
wish Bush would adopt that view.) For myself, I have said Boo back to
Darwin, Marx, Freud, etc., etc., all the gang, and devised my own version of
belief in Christ, against which there is absolutely no enforceable law, and
which as far as I can tell is not outrageously different from that of
Meister Eckhart or Mother Theresa. (Or of Ezra Pound.) Tom White