EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jon & Anne Weidler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:30:41 -0600
Mr. Seddon's distinction between the mystic and the occult reminded me
of a book on my shelf.  *W. B. Yeats: Twentieth-Century Magus* by Susan
Johnston Graf is not really a good book, but it is the only of its kind
I've seen.  I purchased it at an occult bookstore near the place I used
to have on Chicago's North side.  It dishes all the dirt on Yeats's
occult involvement, including all the details of his feud with Aleister
Crowley for control of the Order of the Golden Dawn, a ritual magic
group.  The details and chronologies that Graf presents are fairly
convincing, at least on the factual level, that Yeats was serious about
his ritual activity, and seriously pursued occult studies within a
curriculum of sorts.

"A Vision" makes a lot more sense through this kooky sort of lens, I
must say.  On the other hand, once I had read about all the robes and
incantations and levels of magical initiation, it was terribly
difficult to read Yeats with a straight face, or even to appreciate the
efforts of critics and scholars writing about him.  There's something
about this hidden business that doesn't like to see the light of day...

It's my impression that Pound would have no truck with Order of the
Golden Dawn hogwash (or "mysterium", in the unlikely event some fell
spirit subscribes to this list).  It seems to make a difference if one
is reading historico-mythic proto-structural studies like Weston or
Frazer, rather than spellbooks or tarot cards.  It's important that
Madame Sosotris had a nasty cold, even while predicting death by water,
and was more than eager to receive payment for her work with the
dimensionally handicapped.  Figures in the Modern period, in lots of
ways, display some anxiety about what to do with their multiplicitous
mythical heredity.  (And at the same time, Edgar Rice Burroughs is
writing Tarzan.)  It seems to me that the decades after Darwin, Freud,
Marx, etc. pushed Xianity (as my colleague so aptly abbreviates) off
the main stage of intellect, leaving open a vaccuum of indeterminate
proportions to be refilled quickly, and with whatever tools were
closest to hand.

Maude Gonne would have nothing to do with the Order of the Golden Dawn
after a while.  Graf offers that Gonne "thought she was being disloyal
to Ireland by belonging to what she saw as a pseudo-masonic, English
organization."  One handy ideological complex (or vortex?) for filling
the existential void is the nation-state, or, failing that, the
colonial struggle to bring a nation-state into existence along ethnic
lines.  Myth becoming race becoming state is one possible progression
at the dawn of the century, and the aestheticized politics of the 3rd
Reich are enough to show what a potent progression it could be.

What's most interesting to me about all this (getting away from the
British Isles and all the glyphs and arcana and Crowleys) is that the
American myths seem only to sputter into existence, and never quite
take consistent form without Hollywood Help.  I think about Stevens'
early poem about the firecat and the herds of buffalo running away; or
I think about Tarzan; or about Zane Grey's cowboy novels; and see the
coordinates of a myth in the making.  The internationality of Pound and
Eliot permit a level of mythic discourse that their more nationalist
counterparts do not attempt to imitate.  But their American-ness (which
I still do not understand) underwrites that very internationality:
Yeats is confined in comparison, while EP ranges far and wee (so to
speak).

(I did not plan out these comments very thoroughly, as you no doubt can
tell.  Any response is welcome.)

Cheers!
-Jon W.
Oak Park, IL