EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:29:09 -0800
A link between virgo and virga would be interesting (something along the
lines of following shades of synonyms to reach antonyms), but it's
really a long leap from vajra to virgin, and the whole thing sounds a
bit far-fetched to me.

It's true that virga (rod) and vajra (thunderbolt) are likely related...
and there is even a rare usage of verge (from virga, not virgo) to
indicate the penis.  But the link from virgo to virga isn't the least
bit clear to me.  Do you have a source for the etymological link, or is
it just apparent?  None of the words coming from virga traces to virgo,
as far as I can see.  Wouldn't virga trace to vir?  I know there's folk
etymology that traces virgo and thus virgin  to vir, but it's spurious
and based upon mere appearance and coincidence of sound.

--

Dirk Johnson
676 Geary #407

Home: 415-771-7734