EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:53:52 -0600
From:
Tom White <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
My witness is that it was the modern thing, complexity and all (I mean Pound
and Eliot) that opened up ALL poetry to me. Before that I thought it was
mostly arty posturing (incl. Shakespeare: I thus reveal my lumpenproletariat
origins). But there WAS the requirement that oneself be willing to work a
little. I forget who it was who said responding to a complaint about
difficulty that "Shakespeare is difficult." I sadly relinquish the People
Magazine readership to People Magazine. Tom White