From:
Andy Ryer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Ryer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:02:58 -0400
Hey, everybody! Just wanted to send out a heads up about a great
program/presenter that we had here at Thomas Memorial last night. The
presenter was Molly Holmberg Brown (aka MollyMaps) and she led a creative
map-making workshop for adults. Molly is a Portland based cartographer who
leads mapmaking workshops for both kids and adults. Her bio and examples of
her amazing maps can be found here: http://www.mollymaps.com. For our
workshop she first talked a bit about why maps are still important in our
lives today and how she arrived at the idea of making what she calls
"geographic expressions or inspired mapping." She then led participants
through the process of identifying a local spot that has personal meaning
for them and took them through the step by step stages of making their own
small personal map. Along with help from our Historical Society we dug up a
whole assortment of really cool old maps for people to draw from, so it was
a great combination of history, geography, and art. Participants were super
engaged and seemed to really enjoy the program. Everyone walked out of the
program with a completed map (well, actually they are currently on display
here in the library) of their very own. Molly was extremely professional
and did an awesome job leading the program. I thought that this program
would be a tough sell to patrons as it sounds a little offbeat and hard to
describe, but it filled up so fast we had to add a second session and
probably have enough people on the wait list for that one to add a third.
People love maps! Who knew?? I cannot recommend this program highly enough.
So seriously, get on this while the mappin' is good! Here's Molly's contact
info if you're interested: [log in to unmask] Any questions about the
program or if you'd like to see what the small maps look like, just let me
know off list. Happy Friday, everyone!

--
Andrew J. Ryer
Circulation Librarian