EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:24:16 -0500
The notion that sexual appetites are evil underlies both Pound's dramatic
monologue and St Francis's canticle. The latter is NOT unambiguously an
"exuberation affirmation" -- it simply masquerades as one. The line about
mortal sin is not a single "contrapunto". Read Francis's poem more closely,
and you'll see that aversion to sexuality is a major theme of the saint's
work.  That fear and aversion is most evident in the sister/water/death
associations:

Laudato si mi signore per sor acqua. la quale e multo utile et humile et
pretiosa. et casta.
Laudato si mi signore per sora nostra morte corporale. da la quale nulla
homo uiuente po skappare. guai a cquelli ke morrano ne le peccata mortali.
beati quelli ke trouara ne le tue sanctissime uoluntati ka la morte secunda
nol farra male.

(Be praised, My Lord, through Sister Water; she is very useful, and humble,
and precious, and pure.
Be praised, my Lord, through our Sister Bodily Death, from whose embrace no
living person can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Happy those
she finds doing your most holy will. The second death can do no harm to
them.)

This linking of sexual appetite with evil and sin is certainly a commonplace
in the medieval religious poetry that leads up to Dante -- and Pound would
not have overlooked this aspect of the genre.

The troubled character in Pound's poem is trying not to have impure
thoughts; his unstated fear is that he might die in a state of sin because
of these thoughts.  The Nunc Dimittis prayer tells us so.  The thematic
connections are not really all that tenuous. By means of the title and the
prayer, Pound places the Supreme Court ruling in the historical context of
western judeo-christian religious tradition with its distorted, guilt-ridden
attitude towards human sexuality.

Tim