EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
bob scheetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:32:57 -0500
tim,
     there is that one, almost adventitious, contrapunto in francis'
cantico; but, as a unity it is an exhuberant affirmation, a great "yea!" to
life,  sensual existence.   pound's is the diametric opposite,
contemplates with dread the purveyance of "rosy fingered dawn" & co, the
celebratory sensuality of the pagan classics.  so they should,
naturally, be titled opposite...as l'allegro & il penserosso, sunny south
vs frozen north, eh?
      further, the "thought" that "troubles sleep" being nihilism,
... first amendment commodification & commerce of "the word",
there, for puritan piety, is a spiritual wasteland,
... and the sun, a principle of dehydration & death.
an existence the aged and faithful simeon would,
reasonably, wish rather to depart

thence, perhaps, an ironic "cantico del sole"...postlapsarian,
... of modernity?

but...still seems a bit of a stretch, no?

bob