ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 15:53:51 -0500
Responding and adding.......

The Friends of Maine Hockey provides a vehicle through which the average fan
can become more informed about the team and program we support.  We provide a
terrific newsletter, published and written seasonally by two active posters
on this Board, Deron Treadwell and Dave Wollstadt.  Since I have been
President, copies of this have been requested by many other college hockey
support groups to steal ideas from!!  We have post game receptions (this
season on the first Saturday game of each month) where the coaches and
players are introduced and delicious food is served.  These are free to
members and cost $2 for non-members, zip for small children.  Attendance was
approximately a hundred and fifty at the last one, with around ten
non-members.  We run the 50/50 drawing, which raises around 40% of the
revenue we pour into the program.  We design and distribute a
unique-to-our-group membership pin, this season commemorating the 20th season
of Maine Hockey.  We produce events like the Auction, which is a fun time
along with raising money for the program.  We run a golf tournament, this
year taking place during our bi-annual Alumni Weekend in July.  If the team
goes to playoffs, we organize and fund the rallies and receptions surrounding
those exciting times.  This month, on the 23rd at 6pm, we again will host the
annual free-to-the-public "Skate with the Bears" Deron mentioned, this season
incorporating skills competitions and photopins with the players.  On April
12th, we will again host the annual Awards Banquet.  Over the years this
group has funded Bananas and pep band travel expenses, trophy cases, skate
sharpeners, part of the Alfond expansion,  weight room and computer expenses,
and, when independent, a scholarship of $10,000 each season, among many other
things too numerous to list.  Our new activities planned for next season,
include producing and maintaining a Web page, and other activities geared to
exposing the public to those hardworking, polite young men who make up the
Maine Hockey Team.

Membership participation really matters to the program.  Any and all net
dollars raised through this group go directly for the program's expenses for
scholarship, travel and equipment.  The Board of the Friends is made up of
about 20 local people, and ex-officio members Coach Walsh, one of the team
Captains, Brad Williams (the Blue Line Club President), along with the
Athletic Department Liasons of Craig Turnbull, AAD, and Tammy Light,
Compliance Officer and SWA.  We meet monthly, and the main topics of
discussion center around fan support.  We really want to help the team and
the program in any way possible.

I will not argue the media coverage  of the NCAA investigation branded all
boosters as potential dangers to the integrity of the program.  The truth is
that boosters and the groups that channel them, like the Friends of Maine
Hockey and Center Ice Club,  are essential to the survival of the program,
and allow Maine to compete against our better funded conference rivals.   The
"boosters" (and personally I hate that term!) mentioned as "banned" were only
two  people  who were members in an organization of almost 700 families
across the USA and Canada at the time.  With that exception, every booster
did their best to follow the instructions for compliance they had at that
time.  The Friends of Maine Hockey was, at the time the investigation was
instigated and up until a year or so ago, an "outside" support group, meaning
we were not part of the University.  We did, however, operate with the
complete knowledge of and in cooperation with the Athletic Administration,
providing much needed activities and support dollars which were an integral
reason for the success of Maine Hockey.  We are still proud to do that.  What
continues to baffle me is why every single season ticket holder is not also a
member of the Friends group.  With the quality of the entertainment they
crave at stake, why not!?!

Deron is right - the students are a big reason for the loudness in the rink
in past years.  Remember the "Naked Five"?  I really like the band member who
dances during games.  And while we're on the subject of the students - let's
cheer the Maine Pep Band!  They are loud, on cue, and - wonder of wonders
Thank You God - the crowd responds!!  That Mexican song actually got people
clapping.  The base drummer deserves a medal every game, as far as I'm
concerned, as my favorite is the "Hey Buddy, You're outta here" cheer.  We
were without them one game this season, when they were on the road with
basketball, and the atmosphere was palpably empty.  I think the ticket
situation will be solved soon.  The Administration definitely knows of it,
and Scott Lowenburg and Tina Kiriakou are trying to find the best solution.
 Both of them take pride in doing their jobs well and this issue definitely
has their attention!!   I look forward to a loud and raucous atmosphere in
the rest of the home games, especially BU.

ANYWAY, those of you who stuck with me through this, thanks!  AND if you have
any suggestions for the FMH to increase crowd participation, email me.  I
will take any ideas seriously (except the one for a female Naked Five!!  That
has already been heard and rejected!!)