EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Erik Volpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:47:10 -0700
Not that I myself read the Cantos when I am far from home and feeling
Frostian, but I have, on occasion, brought The Cantos abroad. The
Cantos may be a working text or a moving text, and that is exactly the
point; it is Dante, it is Odysseus, it is a journey, where at times the
pilgrim yearns for his homeland. Although at times disdainful, it seems
to me London is mentioned  throughout The Cantos with much nostalgia.
Friends, like in Dante's Inferno, are brought back from the underworld,
even those who may have at one time pissed EP off, or stabbed him in
the back (Lewis). The Pisan Cantos possesses a very discomforting
position for the narrator, but is juxtaposed with perhaps some of the
most beautiful imagery and language in all of the book. These
fragmented passages of recalling, i think, can be very comforting. I do
not think Mr.Romano had "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" in mind
when asking his question. Considering Canto I starts with a voyage, I
think homesickness does have a place amongst discussion.