EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:53:20 -0600
I have flown from Mildenhall England, to the U.S. on a C5 Skymaster. Big cargo planes, designed to carry big items, such as helicopters, trucks, large quanities of troops, etc. They have a huge hull, at the top of which is appended a little area in which about 30 passengers can be contained.  The C5 I flew had come from Berlin, stopped in Mildenhall to pick a few people up, then took off again. I do not know if it refueled, but it made the flight to US nonstop.

>>> Timothy P Redman <[log in to unmask]> 03/17 8:17 AM >>>
The trip was not non-stop, but went all over Europe, then, I believe
to the Azores, then the Bahamas (or Bermuda?  I'd have to check my
archive) before coming to land in Washington.

                                                Tim Redman

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:25:00 +0100 Alexander Schmitz
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Martin -
>
> no USAF officer, but a West Berlin child of the great Berlin Airlift of 1948-49
> und thus a life long aviation & US lover:
>
> a C54 Skymaster wdn't have had the necessary range. I'm pretty sure that at that
> time there were only one or two types of aircraft really capable of doing the
> atlantic non-stop, early versions of the Lockheed Conny (L149) or much more
> likely the Boeing B337 ("Stratocruiser" I think that ship's name was. Somehow
> THAT sounds familiar to me in EP context. Maybe that either Cornell or Carpenter
> have details about it in their books or it was in the EP film "American Odyssey"
> where Mary tells about how enormously excited EP was on this his very first
> flight. I cd check but have no time right now. Maybe you can or let me know so I
> wd go at it in a couple of days
>
> BTW, I'd enjoy to talk aviation with you or yr son.
>
> alex

Tim Redman
School of Arts and Humanities, JO 31
University of Texas at Dallas