EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 17:32:48 -0500
One of the ways, not often remarked upon I believe, that Pound's
anti-semitism and fascism affect his poetry is by casting a pall over
certain otherwise profound as well as beautiful passages of great. Among
my favorite lines from the Cantos (I forget which Canto, and I
[mis]quote from memory) are

Pity, yes for the infected.
But maintain antisepsis.

If only one could forget totally the subject being discussed in this
thread, Pound's relation to the final solution. The lines are _true_,
but some of their (potential) applications are also horrifying.

And also, whatever Pound knew or didn't know during the '30s or when
writing the Pisan Cantos, he certainly had occasion to know a good deal
more when he wrote the magnificent 27 lines in Canto 91 that begin,
"Lord, thaet scop the dayes lihte," and end with those italicized lines
beginning "Democracies electing their sewage," and including "and, in
this, their kikery functioned."

It is one of the triumphs of the poem -- and the cacophany introduced in
the final lines _belongs there_; it is part of the beauty. But But
But......

Carrol